Someone sent me this in an email, and I thought it was pretty good! So here are my answers:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Visited Washington, D.C. Took all three boys horseback riding.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't make any last year. This year my resolution is to nurture my friendships/relationships more, and try to get organized!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I got back in touch with a good friend from grad school, and she gave birth the month we saw each other for the first time in ten years!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one extremely close, but a friend. Also, my husband's cousin's stepmother committed suicide. But I didn't know her.
5. What countries did you visit
Zero. Nada. I do live vicariously through my friend Rusty, who often travels to Europe, and my friend Tricia, who is moving to Japan (military).
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
more date nights with Gilbert
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 13th - the day I turned 40 and the day my husband faced his alcohol dependency. September 10th - the day my husband came home from 28-day rehab.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Supporting my husband in his journey to sobriety, and not killing him when it meant he had to go on long-term unpaid medical leave. Just kidding. Sort of.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The failure to finish wallpapering the bathroom. General failure to lose weight.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Santa bought the boys a Wii. I have loved listening to them laugh over it, and we have had great fun playing as a family!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband's - he has finally faced his alcoholism and met the challenge with grace and commitment.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
food for three growing boys!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Learning Ravel's Sheherazade and singing it in PA while my brother danced.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Lifehouse - Whatever It Takes
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier mostly
b) thinner or fatter? same, I think
c) richer or poorer? richer in the things that matter
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
exercised, eaten better, spent more time with friends
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
wasted time surfing the internet and being a couch potato
20. How did you spend Christmas?
playing with my boys and sort of nursing a sick (on the mend) husband
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Starter Wife
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
nope - but am hugely annoyed with a grouch neighbor
24. What was the best book you read?
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
discovery? Sissel. Best musical gift was the new radio/cd player for my car.
26. What did you want and get?
a new digital camera
27. What did you want and not get?
a new refrigerator. Okay, and a new master suite.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40. I had rehearsal. I cried a lot, for reasons other than turning 40.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
a vacation alone with Gilbert
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
casual, trying to not be frumpy, housewife
32. What kept you sane?
coffee, singing, friends
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Debra Messing; she is so talented! and I think she's gorgeous.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
People who voted based on race.
35. Who did you miss?
my friends Tricia and Emory
36. Who was the best new person you met?
my new accompanist, James
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Remember to take things one day at a time, and tell people you love them.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
(this answer is stolen)
"Will Not Be Moved" (Natalie Grant)
I have been the wayward child
I have acted out
I have questioned Sovereignty
And had my share of doubt
And though sometimes my prayers feel like
They're bouncing off the sky
The hand I hold won't let me go
And is the reason why...
I will stumble
I will fall down
But I will not be moved
I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
But I will not be moved
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
I will not be moved
And I have kept the score
Of all my shattered dreams and though it seemed
That I was far too gone
My brokenness helped me to see
It's grace I'm standing on
And the chaos in my life
Has been a badge I've worn
Though I have been torn
I will not be moved