Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Beginnings

Well, here it is. My first blog. I have been thinking of doing this for a while, but wasn't sure I had anything worthwhile to say. Finally, I decided to just begin, and see where it takes me! These past few months have seen a lot of new beginnings and new ventures for my family and me. Matthew began his middle school career this fall, and is really adjusting and settling in. His teachers all have great things to say about him as a student and person. I kind of like him, just a little, so I tend to agree! No bias here, no sir, no way!

A new beginning for Andrew and Jacob was the beginning of piano lessons. They are both enjoying it, and are constantly on the piano, vying for "practice" time. Matthew takes piano, too, so it is quite a competition for the piano. But it is exciting to "hide and watch" as they sit at the piano, straight-backed, concentrating on playing a scale, or trying to play a piece in their books. Jacob also pulls out some of my music once in a while, marvels at all the notes on the page, and promptly puts it away. Too funny.

Let's see, my new beginning this year was the day I turned 40! Beginning a new decade...I thought it might bother me a little, but it really hasn't. The hardest part has been remembering that I am 40 now, not 39. I can no longer say I am in my 30s. Now I sometimes have to check a new age-range when filling out paperwork! For the most part, I feel comfortable in my 40-year-old skin. I even think it doesn't look too bad most days! Ha ha...something I need to begin would be an exercise program. Definitely lacking in that area.

A daunting new beginning for my husband is beginning his journey of sobriety. Gilbert finally admitted to himself and others that he was an alcoholic, and is seeking help. He has 2 months of sobriety under his belt, and is doing very well. Some days are harder than others, but nothing seems overwhelming, at least not so far. He did say he thought wistfully of having a beer when he ordered a Polish sausage at the state fair, but that was as far as it went.

Also on the horizon for Gilbert - perhaps a new career. Long story short, Gilbert lost his medical certificate. Overall he is healthy and able to work, but he lost his certificate due to a couple of things. Pending getting his certificate back, he may be able to go back to his job at Frontier, provided A) he wants to do so, and B) Frontier is still in business. For now, Gilbert is on long-term disability, so at least we will have some income from that. There are other options we are considering, as well. We will manage.

I had been thinking of trying to return to singing as a career, and this may be the perfect time. Since Gilbert will be home more, I won't have to worry about juggling sitters, trying to figure out if I can go to do an audition or a performance, etc. Gilbert himself even said that this was the right time for me to seriously pursue it, so, that is my plan. Now I just have to get off my lazy butt and get busy!

Hmm. Guess I had more to say than I thought, at least for now.

2 comments:

SandyL said...

Hi Kelley and Welcome to Blog World...You can save my blog and follow me too when I have something to say :)

Charles68 said...

Congratulations! I think it's wonderful and inspiring that you are doing this! Besos,
Charles